I’ve been starting horses lately and thinking about a check list – what the pieces are to go from wild to riding.
Here is my thinking so far about what the basic building blocks are.
- It seems to me that the first two are probably prerequisites for the rest
- Catching and Haltering
- Lead – Tie – Moving Around in Sync
- The next ones can probably be mixed and matched
- Handling – Hooves, Clipping, etc.
- Sending Places – Checking things out with nose and feet, Trailer Loading, bridges and water.
- Accepting Objects – Blankets, Saddles wierd stuff like bags and balls and ropes, etc.
- All of the above would hopefully lead to the following going pretty smooth, and stress free for horse and rider
- Mounting- Dismounting
- Basic Arena Riding – Walk, Trot and Canter
I’d guess after all of the above, if you haven’t ventured out of the arena yet, now woud be the time.